This historic property was once the Sheridan Flouring Mills, Inc., a company that owned 13 grain elevators from Hardin, Montana to Gillette, Wyoming, and provided collection, storage and milling of locally-produced wheat and other grains into flour and other milled products. The original mill was established in the early 1890’s and operated near downtown Sheridan.
A catastrophic fire occurred in 1919, destroying the downtown location and resulted in the construction of a new and larger mill on Coffeen Avenue. The new mill had the latest milling technology, made of fire resistant masonry and was the largest, most modern of its kind in Wyoming—with a daily capacity of 1,000 barrels of flour. At one time, the mill was the largest taxpayer in Wyoming. Then named the Sheridan Flouring Mills, the mill sold products worldwide. In fact, during World War II the mill’s flour was shipped to all parts of the globe to feed the hungry.
Due to changes in freight rates for grain and flour, the mill could no longer compete with other milling locations. Milling operations were closed and the buildings, equipment and lands comprising the former Sheridan Flouring Mills, Inc. were sold in 1974.
By 1992, after the mill had been converted to a motel, this historic property was for sale. A great deal of deferred maintenance needed to be completed in order to provide well-appointed accommodations for the traveling public. A local family, the Moodys, committed to the Sheridan community and the history of the area, took up the challenge.
With a focus on restoring this historic property, the Sheridan Mill Inn was further developed. Collections were acquired, building and maintenance was completed, and today the Mill Inn is an historic, fully-renovated motel, and soon to be updated office building. “The Best Rest Out West” became a reality.